About the Learning Thermometer
The Learning Thermometer is a tool to help students:
- Reflect upon their learning;
- Get feedback about support that might be useful; and
- Provide feedback to teaching staff to help them fine tune the course to improve your learning.
It provides teaching staff with group data to show:
- How well the class is progressing towards the course learning outcomes;
- How useful the learning environment is; and
- How useful the subject resources are.
At the end of semester, teaching staff have access to the following data for each subject:
- Teaching Value Index (TVI). The TVI is a measure of the amount of variance that the teaching environment has contributed to student grades beyond that accounted for by student motivation, engagement, and mental health.
- Student satisfaction. The frequencies, mean and standard deviation of student satisfaction.
- Student engagement. This is measured by self-reported attendance, effort, and learning activities.